The media coverage of Ali’s arrest over the past few days has been striking. We are amazed to see how quickly those following this campaign have mobilized for Ali’s release, and encourage those following the campaign to continue contacting local and international media. If you are a journalist and would like to cover Ali’s case, please get in touch.
The following is a roundup of coverage from mainstream media and advocacy groups (we’re tracking blog posts in support of Ali here):
- The World Movement for Democracy has posted a “democracy alert” urging individuals to write to Bahraini authorities and urge them to release Ali.
- The Committee to Protect Journalists has called on Bahraini authorites to release Ali.
- The LA Times’s Alexandra Sandels gave Ali a brief mention in this piece on Bahrain’s crackdown on Shi’a activists.
- Lebanese advocacy group Samir Kassir Eyes put out an alert (Arabic).
- IFEX has put out a call in Arabic to support Ali.
- France24 has put out an excellent video (embedded) with brief written explanation of the campaign to free Ali.
- The Atlantic’s Max Fisher has just written a piece on Ali as part of the “Liberal Arab Movement.”